International Travel Resources


International Travel Resources

If you are preparing to travel internationally, we recommend that you consult the following resources:

U.S. State Department Travel Information and Services

  • The U.S. Department of State provides country-specific information for every country of the world.  For each country, you will find information like the location of the U.S. embassy and any consular offices; whether you need a visa; crime and security information; health and medical conditions; drug penalties; and localized hot spots (including Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts).  This is a good place to start learning about where you are going.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

  • The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.  STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.  STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Travel Agency: Concur Travel

  • Log into your UCCS portal to book your travel. Click on "Concur Travel & Exp."

Travel Insurance

While you are traveling, it will be important that you have sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation insurance. CU provides employees (faculty/staff/residents/fellows - not students, unless employed by the university and traveling as part of their employment) with international medical and evacuation insurance that covers medical emergencies, security emergencies, or natural disasters. For information on this program and how to access it prior to traveling, refer to the University Risk Management (URM) website.

For information regarding general and auto liability, and employee workers' compensation insurance while traveling internationally, e-mail URM at or call the numbers below.

The University provides an emergency assistance program, SOS, to help with emergency situations while traveling outside of the United States, for its employees and authorized travelers. For information on this program and how to access it while traveling, refer to the University Risk Management (URM) website, or call 719-255-3525 or 303-860-5682.

Visa Information

Some countries require US citizens to apply and have an approved and issued visa to enter. To obtain a visa, you must complete the visa application and send the application, along with your physical passport and designated application documents and materials, to the embassy or consulate for the country to which you are traveling. Not all countries require US citizens to obtain a visa. You can find country specific information here.

If you are interested in working through a visa processing service, we've had positive experiences with Travisa.